Updates and information about my Windolph B mini crawler:

Back to the crawler page

What I know about it so far:
It's a Windolph 'B' crawler, probably from the 1940's. It has a single cylinder Briggs and Stratton engine (iron block) and is missing it's ID tag. The transmission has three speeds forward and one in reverse, and uses a dry clutch that fits a spline coupler on the engine. The hydraulic system has been added to the tractor. It has a seperate clutch and brake for each track.

8/5/2001: I located Dodge PT, the current version of the company that origionally made the clutch for this crawler. Hopefully they can lend a hand with parts.

8/9/2001: Dodge sent me to a company named Mecco and it looks like they should be able to make the piece I need. They are a manufacturer of clutches and requested that I mail them the parts I have and they will try to duplicate them. I'll post here if they are able to supply clutch parts for these old tractors.

8/10/2001: I pulled the top cover off of the transmission and found out why the tranny origionally only appeared to be a single speed unit. Someone put one of the shift fork rods in turned 180deg so that the shift lever can't engage it. The tranny is reportedly from a Crosley car, and this unit has a lot of surface rust and pitting in the gears. I pulled the rear cover off of the differential/steering clutches and everything looks okay. There was water in the bevel gear section, but the gears look good, almost no corrosion. The clutches look fine except for a bit of oil on one.

8/11/2001: Well, I finally tore into the transmission. With it removed, the tractor rolls around quite easily on it's tracks (you can just push it around.) Obviously something is seriously bound up in the tranny. First job was to strip the
shift forks out of the tranny cover. I rebuild the forward gear shift fork (before, after) and the shift lever by welding them up a bit, milling the notch back into the shift fork, and carefully reshaping the end of the shift lever. The next problem is getting new ball detents for the shift fork rods. The origional ball detents are seriously worn out. I figure I can just use a pair of ball bearings with a new spring and it should be good to go. Every single bearing in the tranny and driveshaft is worn out and the seals are shot.

The real problem is the splines where the rear end pinion shaft joins the transmission. The splines are sharp and almost gone. I'm not quite sure how I'll replace those. I'm hoping I can cut the bad splines (male and female) off on my lathe and have new ones TIG welded on. We'll see.

8/12/2001: I was able to knock the pinion gear/shaft out of the rear end by using a dull punch and big hammer, just took a bit of tapping. The transmission is completely apart now (
1, 2) and pretty well cleaned up. Here are all the internal parts layed out how they go together (input shaft on the left, output shaft and pinion on the right.) At least one of the bronze bushings will have to be replaced and there appears to be a fair amount of gear wear. A couple people I checked with said the gears will probably be fine as long as I don't jamb it into gear when it's moving and so forth. Just have to take it easy. The tranny output shaft spline looks fine, so only the connecting collar and pinion shaft are worn.

It looks like it'll rain, so I retapped all the rear cover mounting holes and bolted it back on with a little anti-seize on the new bolts, and duct taped over the pinion hole to keep out the water. Some genius had used a rectangular gasket on the rear plate that only seals around the
bevel gear, and the plate is supposed to be flat, so that gasket put a bending load on the plate. No wonder oil leaked into the turning clutch sections (that are supposed to be dry, i.e. no oil.) Some day I'll have a shop of my own to work in.

8/13/2001: I contacted Moore Machine and Gear and the gentleman there said they could manufacture whatever I need for the gearbox and rearend on the crawler. The next question is price. I'll take some more detailed photo's of the rear pinion shaft and coupler and have them quote a price on that. I may just send them the transmission and pinion shaft and have them go through everything. I know both of the gear shafts in the tranny are worn out.

8/17/2001: Shipped the broken clutch pieces off to Mecco. I'm curious to see what they can do for me as far as replacement parts go.

8/19/2001: I tried to use my
AC garden tractor to jockey the crawler around and park it out of the way. It was barely able to budge the crawler, spinning it's tires instead. I had to resort to using my Ford truck to move it. Then I figured out I could use a big crescent wrench with a tiedown strap to disengage one of the track clutches. After that, it was MUCH easier to turn the thing around. It tore up the ground pretty good too. I think it'll have tremendous traction when it's up and running again.

8/30/2001: Just got a call from Mecco. They can make a new brass throwout collar and splined drive piece for the clutch. $275 all told. Not cheap, but the project moves forward.

12/24/2001: Just got the clutch parts back from Mecco. They did outstanding
work! I highly recommend them, but be prepared for a wait (my parts took about four months.) They didn't just machine the parts out of brass stock, they cast the pieces out of brass and then machined them. The parts look factory stock, which is important when trying to restore a piece of equipment. They made both the brass throwout collar and the splined drive ring. So...big part left is to get the transmission replaced/refurbished.

Mecco's contact information is:

Mecco Edgemont Clutch Co.
P.O. Box 52373-T
Tulsa, OK 74152 0373 USA
Tel: 918-583-3060
Fax: 918-583-3080